If you are looking to buy a cover for your furniture or grill equipment, you may be wondering whether vinyl or a slightly pricier polyester is the best material. The answer is that it depends on several factors, such as what you are intending to cover and whether it will be stored indoors or outdoors. Let us list out all the pros and cons of both vinyl and polyester covers in this article.
A vinyl cover offers several benefits:
- Budget-friendly: Vinyl covers tend to be cheaper than polyester ones, making it a great option if your funds are limited.
- Ease of use: Being lightweight, it is incredibly convenient to take a vinyl cover on and off as well as store it when not in use.
- A great indoors option: If the furniture or equipment you are intending to cover is going to be stored indoors, vinyl is a great option as water is unlikely to get on your cover indoors, making its low breathability a non-issue.
The drawbacks of vinyl include:
- Stiffness of material: The stiffness of vinyl means that it may not fit your furniture or equipment as snugly as you’d like. This gap allows dirt and debris to get through, which can defeat the whole purpose of getting a cover in the first place.
- Low breathability: Vinyl covers are not as breathable as polyester ones, meaning that it probably isn’t a good choice if you live in a humid environment. Water droplets can form on the inner side of the cover, possibly leading to mold growth. This can even lead to the forming of rust over time.
Now that we know more about vinyl covers, let’s move on to the benefits of their polyester counterparts.
- Form-fitting: Polyester covers “hug” your furniture or equipment better, ensuring minimal gaps where dust is likely to get through.
- Breathable and water resistant: Drying faster than vinyl, choosing polyester ensures that any water that gets on your furniture or equipment dries in the fastest possible time due to its breathability. This prevents rust from forming.
- Lightweight: Like vinyl, polyester is a lightweight material, making it easy to lift and store as necessary.
- Scratch resistant: As a scratch resistant material, polyester can prevent your furniture or equipment from getting scratched from tree branches and other kinds of debris.
- “Customizable” functionality: Another advantage of polyester is that it can be treated to have the exact property you want, be it UV resistance, fade resistance or more.
The drawbacks of polyester include:
- Higher initial cost: Polyester covers tend to be more expensive than vinyl covers, which may be a pull factor if you are on a budget. However, if money isn’t an issue, consider investing in polyester covers – think about how much you will be saving on repair and replacement costs by protecting your existing furniture and equipment!
Get the Perfect Cover for Your Furniture or Equipment at Creative Covers
Since our inception in 1998, Creative Covers has been manufacturing custom products for our customers in materials to their specifications. We come with the unique advantage of addressing your individual needs and concerns as we offer tailor-made covers to the measurements of your furniture or equipment and in the material of your choice! If you have any questions about our products or would like to get a quote, please do not hesitate to contact us today. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.