From poolside chaise lounges to conversation sets, picnic tables to front porch rockers, it is essential to protect your outdoor furniture from adverse climates, unwanted dust, debris, and critters. Having adequate protection can safeguard your patio furniture from weather conditions, ensuring a pristine condition of your outdoor furniture that will last you for many years to come. Before you get started searching for patio furniture covers, allow us to share with you a few cover ideas that are best suited for your outdoor recreational space!
The Different Types of Outdoor Furniture Covers
Patio furniture covers typically fall into two categories, the universal covers, and the tailored covers.
- Universal covers are designed to match a wide array of styles and types of outdoor furniture, fitting any piece of patio furniture that is within their size.
- Tailored covers are custom made to fit specific pieces of patio furniture and are designed accordingly for better fit and protection. It is, however, possible to use tailored covers as universal covers, if the dimensions fit the patio furniture.
Features of Outdoor Patio Furniture Covers
When looking for outdoor patio furniture covers, what features do you look for? Here is a list of features that may help you in your search for the ideal cover for your outdoor furniture.
- Tie-downs and fasteners – Like buckles, fasteners can keep your furniture covers in place even in weather with strong winds. Tie-downs can also keep your patio furniture covers in place by securing them to the legs of the furniture. When using these fasteners and tie-downs, ensure that they are tight enough so that the covers will not come loose.
- Water-resistant and waterproof covers – When selecting furniture covers, it is recommended that you purchase water-resistant or waterproof covers. Not only can sitting on wet patio furniture be uncomfortable but having water in your furniture for prolonged periods can encourage mold growth and wood rot. For that reason, it is highly advisable to choose patio furniture covers that are water-resistant and can withstand rain or snow. Popular fabrics such as vinyl, polyester, and canvas are ideal choices for outdoor covers as they provide sufficient protection against water and UV rays.
- Ventilation – When choosing outdoor furniture covers, make sure they are waterproof and have some form of ventilation. This is to ensure that no moisture remains under the cover which can lead to water damage and mold growth if humidity is trapped for too long. Therefore, look for covers that are designed with built-in vents that can let in air while keeping out water at the same time.
Measuring Outdoor Furniture for Covers
To ensure that you achieve the best protection from your patio furniture covers, you must take a precise measurement of your outdoor furniture for fitting covers. Covers that are too big may allow wind to blow unwanted debris under the covers, accumulating dirt and water that can cause damage to your outdoor furniture. Covers that are too small will be inadequate to protect your entire furniture, leaving pieces of furniture exposed to outdoor conditions. Therefore, it is important to ensure accurate measurement of your outdoor furniture.
Here is what you need to know to find the right dimensions of your patio furniture:
- Measure the height of your furniture from the ground to the top; include any decorative details at the top as well
- Measure the length from the left to right or right to left of the furniture
- Measure the depth or width from the front to the back of the furniture
As some furniture can be oddly shaped, they can be a little trickier to measure. At Creative Covers, our team of experts can help you customize your patio furniture covers according to your specific measurements, colors, and materials. Whether you are getting your patio furniture prepped for the winter or summer months, be sure to check out our exceptional variety of patio furniture covers at Creative Covers today!